Here is the handout from the 2 Corinthians class that we just started on Sunday. I am really excited about journeying through this book and really getting to know Paul better. We had a really good class on Sunday and I feel like we are all going to grow from this experience. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to write in the comments section!
2 Corinthians 1
At least the fourth letter that Paul wrote to the Corinthians
1. Previous letter mentioned in 1 Cor. 5:9
- 2. I Cor. Itself
- 3. Severe letter mentioned in 2 Cor. 2:3-4
- 4. 2 Corinthians
Purpose: This letter was a defense of Paul’s life and ministry. He was under severe attack by opponents who were saying he was not a real apostle and his message was phony. He has decided to come and pay them a long visit to minister to them and address problems.
Vs. 1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God
· Paul is declaring who he is
· He then declares who they are – identity is important
Vs. 2 Grace and Peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ –
What else can we ask for?
Vs. 3 Father of compassion and the God of all comfort
· This is His character, His name. If you are troubled, hope in God (Ps. 42:5,6). He will comfort you.
Vs. 4 He comforts us in all our troubles so we can comfort others with what you have received from God. What receive from God, we are to give away to others
· Matt. 10:8 – Freely you have received, freely give
· Genesis 12:1-3 – You, just like Abraham, are blessed to be a blessing
· Phil. 2:1-5 – If you have received anything from God, share it with others
Vs. 5-7 The Christian life requires sharing in sufferings, but in the midst of that, God brings comfort (1 Cor. 4:9-13).
We have come to believe the lie that everything in the Christian life will be easy, but the truth is that we suffer just as Christ suffered. This world is not our home. We do not get all we want out of this life. But, God promises to comfort in the midst of suffering. He is our hope and our reward. This comfort and compassion is so victorious that it heals us, pulls us out of the situation, and empowers us to minister it to others who are hurting – All of us learn patient endurance to wait on God and find hope in Him.
Have you ever received supernatural comfort from the Lord in the midst of suffering? If so, how?
- Do you need this now? Pray for one another.